Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Spearfishing at Hanko

On August 30th I attended (again) a Spearfishing competition. This was held in Hanko and was the fifth competition I attended this year. Actually, I attended all the other competitions except Finnish Championships. There is one more competition to come (end of this month), but it seems I won't attend it.

Well. This competition in Hanko was not that big success for me. I went there in order to achieve ranking points, and in order to get these points you need to get fish. Good guess; I did not get anything.

I spent almost the whole competition time by looking for flatfishes. For me this meant diving constantly to somewhere between 4-8 meters. Bad mistake. All the fish was either very deep (around 20 meters) or very shallow (max 2m) water. E.g. one person who was in top three got several flatfishes only from about 1.5 to 2 meters. Thus, no diving needed. Damn.

This time I, however, was wise enough to spend my last minutes of the competition wisely; by taking photos. Here are three selected shots from the competition:



Colorful algae.


Jellyfish


Spot two spearfishers.


Btw. this competition also ended the spearfishing season 2008. The next competition in end of September is already next season's competition. In Finnish ranking I ended up being 29th with 54.71 points. I got points from three competitions. If I would have got my normal points (about 20) from either of the two competitions where I got no fish I would have had chance to be somewhere around positions 24.-26.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great picture of the jellyfish. Do they attack humans?

I like how your enhance you past performance:"If I had got more fish, I would have had a better ranking position". That's why we have rankings,to count how many fishes you catch, not how many you would have catched if...!