Saturday, September 13, 2008

How deep can you go?

Very.

We went today for a dive at Leinonen, a small lake nearby Ylämylly. It's nice place to dive since it has very clear water. However, this time we were not that interested about the visibility, but the depth of the lake. So, the idea today was to make deep dives.

Sami had this buoy/weight/line system with him that allows safe dives to depths. Every time someone dives he/she is attached to this system with a short piece of string; the other end at the line and other to divers wrist. At the weight, which naturally is in the depths, in order to make it easier to see where the "goal" is. Today it was around 20 meters.

I first did couple of dives to somewhere between 10 and 15 meters. It felt a bit strange, since I normally dive in places where at these depths you would already see the bottom. However, I got used to it quite soon and was able to enjoy the dives.

After some practice dives I decided that it is time to go for the max. After somewhat easy dive now 20.6 meters is the deepest I've been (without scuba diving gear, this was freediving). However, when I was come back to the surface I noticed another line about 5 meters from our line (to which I was attached to). This made me feel very strange, as I thought that I had somehow escaped the line. Luckily this was not the case, but the other line was (most likely) a old fishing net buoy.

No comments: