Friday, February 8, 2008

How to lose your glasses efficiently

This is a true story.

Yesterday I was at participating the water running session organized by Louhelan Woima. I do this every week. Water running is quite fun and efficient sport, and it is interesting that you get all sweaty in water. Thus, after the session ends, you are usually feeling very hot, and thus I usually tend to dive a bit afterwards.

I dived after the session, as usual, and before diving I placed my eyeglasses to the gutter at the edge of the pool. This is (or has been) safe place for glasses since no-one can step on them nor they will float to the bottom of the pool.

After the dive I tried to get my glasses, but missed them with the first attempt. This moved the glasses a bit to the left, and I tried to grab them again, but they were lost! Unbelievable! In the gutter there is the suction pipe of the pool, with which the water is passed to the cleaning system. The suction was so strong that my glasses were sucked in to the pipe and they are now somewhere in between the pipe and the water filter of the whole Vesikko swimming pool.

My glasses will eventually float to the filter, but I'm quite skeptic about the condition in which they will reach the filter. Also, no-one knows how long time it will take. Luckily I have a set of spare glasses, but naturally these are not as good as the ones I just lost. Insurance company will naturally pay a part of the cost when I buy new ones, but I will lose around 100 euros due to this incident!

Since my eyesight is very poor, it was really interesting to get back home with bike.

Lesson learnt: the gutter of the swimming pool is safe place for your glasses, but make sure that you place them far enough from the suction pipes!

PS. Current record in DNF is 62 meters.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jussi, I've heard Andrés has your glasses, they went out from his watertap in Noljakka.