Wednesday, January 30, 2008

DNF 50m

Some might say that I have really weird hobbies. And to be honest that is actually true. Due to my spearfishing hobby, I some time ago joined local diving club in order to be able to participate competitions. Due to joining the club I met couple of local freedivers (Sami and Saana) and they have got me enthusiastic about pure freediving as well.

Yesterday at Rantakylä pool Sami let me try his neck weight. Neck weight is just what it sounds; like a collar with lots of lead in it (this case 3.3 kg) and it is supposed to make your horizontal diving easier. I was bit skeptic about it first, but after the first kick from the pool end I was totally amazed! Such a small thing can make your diving so much easier!

After about 45 minutes of swimming Sami asked if I would be willing to try dive a bit longer length than normal 25m (one pool length). I hesitated first, but then decided to give it a try. With very small preparation I quite easily dived 50 meters (that is, two pool lengths). Amazing, I was so sure I could do just about 35 meters or so. Anyway, let's see when this record will be broken. (50 meters is lot for me, but if you check the Finnish ranking [dynamic,2008,M,all], you'll notice that it really ain't that much ).

Oh. Forgot to say that there was no fins involved in this attempt. Abbreviation DNF in the title of this post comes from Dynamic No Fins.

4 comments:

dr. clint said...

That sounds fun. Do you ever take other people spearfishing with you? If so, I'd like to go sometime. When I lived in Hawaii I was going to go with a friend once to spear-hunt eels, but then ran out of time before I left.

Anonymous said...

I would like to take someone with me here, but since I do not know anyone who would do it, I mostly spearfish alone. But anyway, if you ever happen to be here during season, you're welcome.

Anonymous said...

Clint,

which one swims faster, you or Jussi's spear?

dr. clint said...

Why Roman? You think that hunting fish is getting boring for Jussi, and so now he needs a new game? I'm quite sure hitting me with a spear will be a step down in challenge level. I'm too big and slow.