Monday, November 5, 2007

Back again

IT has been relevantly long time since I've written anything. One reason to this is that Anu (my spouse) came here and I have not got that much spare time anymore. Other reason might be that I'm getting used to things and do not find them that interesting to be shared anymore. However, since I've got my visa extended and everything seems to go quite fluently now, I think I can quite safely start a new series called: things that irritate me here.

1. Scooters
Scooter is a really nice an convenient way of transport here and due to this the amount of them is overwhelming. The streets are packed with scooters, there are huge parking lots for scooters only and even own lanes for scooters (however, it seems there ain't none for the buses). The overwhelming amount of scooters leads to situations where these are parked to anywhere, mostly to the pedestrian passages. This makes it sometimes almost impossible to walk where you would be supposed to walk. And, while walking there a scooter might be driving the same passage... and as always, smaller (i.e. the one with less horsepowers) sidesteps, no matter whose the one that _should_ be there.

IT also seems to me that there is separate rules for scootres. For example it is not wise to trust that one way road is really a one way road. There might be scooters coming frolm both directions.

2. Smog
It's thick, gray and everywhere near the city. Otherwise it does not bother me that much but sometimes it would be really nice to see some blue sky. I've heard that the situation with the smog is much better than it used to be and is going to better direction all the time. That is good, but for a Finn the situation seems really bad. There are some mountains behind the city, I've seen them once., but it would be great to be able to see them more often.

I will continue this list in future.

2 comments:

dr. clint said...

You said that you think there are "different rules" for scooters. What about "no rules"! I think it might bother you less, however, if you are the one riding a scooter. Riding a scooter on the streets of Taiwan is kind of like taking a icy swim after a sauna - the rush of it kind of clears your mind of any other worry.

Anonymous said...

There certainly is some set of rules for the scootres, or then just punishments for some violations are more severe. =)

Riding a scooter here is indeed an experience I now try to avoid as much as possible. It is amazing how people can ride their vehicles without paying any attention to what happens behind them or on their sides...

I suppose if I would drive scooters here more, Taiwans slogan "Taiwan will touch your heart" would become very literate.. and I really do not want that! =)